123Notary
Enter Zip, City, or County... i.e. orange,NY or 90019
Search Method:    regular time edocs
Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion ForumDear Signing Agents,
You need to REGISTER and have a password to post or reply to discussion topics. Please remember, your password for your listing on 123notary.com is NOT RELATED to and is different from your password on the forum. Your password on the forum can be whatever you want it to be.
Lookup a specific signing company, word, or phrase
Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion Forum
Register | String Format | Index Format | Active Topics | Hot Topics | Preview Topics | Advanced Search | Members | Profile | Tutorial | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The 123notary.com Forum for Signing Agents
 Notary Tips
 Business cards and commission #?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
1 -1 1 person liked this post.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dannotary

California
265 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2011 :  10:35:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Dannotary's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I really like the NNA's signing agent cards that bears the logo and says 'background screened' etc. THe professional association is always good. I would never put my commission # on it though. Too much hanky panky with #'s etc these days. I'd never put a picture or photo on a card or join or belong to any social networking sites and especially would not include them on a card. Artwork and photo is meaningless. I like my card serious and relating strictly to the pertinent professional aspects. Just my opinion. I usually give a card when I arrive at a signing and carry a copy of my Notary Commission along.
Go to Top of Page

DianaNotary

California
171 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2010 :  2:01:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit DianaNotary's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My personal opinion:

I like to keep my business cards simple:

1. name and business name
2. commission number- (it’s public so why hid it? Plus it gives your business professionalism)
3. phone
4. email
5. One web site- I wouldn’t add any type of social media links as it agglomerates the card.
6. photo is optional…….

Ideally your business card should make the client contact you in order to get more information or schedule the appointment- so make it stand out.

http://www.DianaNotary.com
Go to Top of Page

Lisa T.

California
391 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2010 :  4:44:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lisa T.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
I agree with Robert on two points: No photo on business cards - photos can be lifted and photoshopped onto other unsavory things, plus it's not safe for a woman and one's own name instead of a business name: i.e. Lisa Thornton, Notary Public is more personable and less intimidating. JMHO
Go to Top of Page

PWinFL

Florida
469 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2010 :  12:22:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit PWinFL's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by FlaNotary

Your examples of US Congress and FL Senate are not "business entities". They are governmental bodies. A Florida senator's business card might say "Senator John Q. Public" and "Florida Senate". My business card says "Robert T. Koehler, Notary Public" and "State of Florida".

You missed the point. Of course "Congress" isn't a business entity, but the business cards of congress members follow the business model. That is, their cards state "Congress of the United States - House of Representatives" and their name. It doesn't say "Congressman Joe Smoe", just "Joe Smoe". Same with cards from the Senate, obviously with modification to show the US Senate.

quote:

I guess the real issue here is that "Ellen's Notary Service", in my opinion, is a tacky name for a business.

There are many pros and cons of naming your business with your own name. (Search Google, Bing, and other search engines and you find all kinds of recommendations and reasons to name a business with your own name, and just as many reasons not to.) I personally don't think this is tacky at all. It may be perceived that this business is warm and friendly to her customers. JMO

Never drive any faster than your guardian angel can fly.

I am not an attorney licensed to practice law in the State of Florida,
and I may not give legal advice or accept fees for legal advice.

Visit us online at http://www.PAWnotary.com
Go to Top of Page

FlaNotary

Florida
59 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2010 :  10:05:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit FlaNotary's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PWinFL
Public officials use business cards with the business entity (US Congress, US Senate, FL Senate, etc.) on the card. A business dictates what the cards will look like, and should be uniform. Every card is the same except for the individuals name and possible unique contact information. Again, if a notary is running a business, then the card should be a professional business card with their business information as well as their names.

Your examples of US Congress and FL Senate are not "business entities". They are governmental bodies. A Florida senator's business card might say "Senator John Q. Public" and "Florida Senate". My business card says "Robert T. Koehler, Notary Public" and "State of Florida".

I guess the real issue here is that "Ellen's Notary Service", in my opinion, is a tacky name for a business.

I agree, that if the notary has formed a corporation (ex. "Notaries Public of Tampa Bay, P.A."), the business name should be on the card. However, "Ellen's Notary Service" looks as silly as an attorney calling his business "John's Lawyer Service". What is more common is for the attorney to include his business name "John Q. Public, P.A.", and then to include his name and title "John Q. Public, Esq. - Attorney at Law".

Robert T. Koehler
Notary Public of the State of Florida
State-Approved Official Notary Educator

Commissioner of Deeds in the Bahamas and New Hampshire
Certified Loan Signing Agent
AAWO-Accredited Wedding Officiant

Weddings: www.NotaryWeddings.com
Classes: www.NotaryAcademy.org

Nothing in the foregoing post is to be construed as legal advice. I am not an
attorney licensed to practice law in any state and can not give legal advice or
accept fees for legal advice.
Go to Top of Page

PWinFL

Florida
469 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2010 :  07:08:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit PWinFL's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

I also think that using your name "Ellen Smith, Notary Public" is much more professional than "Ellen's Notary Service". Notaries are public officials! Do other public officials use "Timothy's Senator Service", "Charlie's Gubernatorial Service", or "Barack's Presidential Service"?

I disagree. If you are running a business, then your business card should have your business name on it. Additionally, since you are an employee of your own business, your name should also be on the business card. (Many notaries work for their own business and do more than just notary work. A business card is exactly that; an advertisement for your business.)

Public officials use business cards with the business entity (US Congress, US Senate, FL Senate, etc.) on the card. A business dictates what the cards will look like, and should be uniform. Every card is the same except for the individuals name and possible unique contact information. Again, if a notary is running a business, then the card should be a professional business card with their business information as well as their names.

Never drive any faster than your guardian angel can fly.

I am not an attorney licensed to practice law in the State of Florida,
and I may not give legal advice or accept fees for legal advice.

Visit us online at http://www.PAWnotary.com
Go to Top of Page

FlaNotary

Florida
59 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2010 :  6:37:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit FlaNotary's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I don't see any problem with the commission number on a business card... It's already on your seal, and in Florida it is up on the Department of State website for anyone to see. However, in Florida our commission numbers change each time we renew - the commission number actually refers to the serial number of the certificate itself.

We do have a "Notary ID Number" which stays the same through each renewal. I considered placing it on my business cards but decided it was unnecessary - it is rarely used and I don't see why anyone would need to know it.

To the OP - this is just my opinion, but I disagree with most of what you say make a "better impression".

I think it is tacky to put your own picture on the business card... I have never seen an attorney or doctor do this, and it seems silly and pretentious for a notary to stick his face on the card, as if it matters what he looks like.

I also think that using your name "Ellen Smith, Notary Public" is much more professional than "Ellen's Notary Service". Notaries are public officials! Do other public officials use "Timothy's Senator Service", "Charlie's Gubernatorial Service", or "Barack's Presidential Service"?

Robert T. Koehler
Notary Public of the State of Florida
State-Approved Official Notary Educator

Commissioner of Deeds in the Bahamas and New Hampshire
Certified Loan Signing Agent
AAWO-Accredited Wedding Officiant

Weddings: www.NotaryWeddings.com
Classes: www.NotaryAcademy.org

Nothing in the foregoing post is to be construed as legal advice. I am not an
attorney licensed to practice law in any state and can not give legal advice or
accept fees for legal advice.
Go to Top of Page

HighDesertNotary

California
12 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2010 :  1:38:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cmihalik

I thought you were not supposed to give out your commission number?

If that's the case, it kind of defeats the purpose of it being on every notarization you do.

I do not have my commission # on my card, but I will give it to anyone who asks. It's public information.

------
www.highdesertnotary.com
Serving Northern Los Angeles and Southeastern Kern Counties of California
Go to Top of Page

Shannon

California
360 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2010 :  5:06:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shannon's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hmmm, I just did a reprint and added my twitter information for the first time. Great idea.

I wouldn't ever offer up my commission number for a couple of reasons:

First, I want to protect my commission as it is already on thousands and thousands of documents out there.

Second, I'm not interested in being an avenue for someone else to do fraud or in being the victim of others doing fraud by using that information.
If we lived in the 1950's I'd be proud to add such information but in this age of identity theft, notaries need to protect themselves.

Just one opinion.

"A Quick Note"
www.aquicknote.net
Follow me on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/aquicknote
Go to Top of Page

cmihalik

New Jersey
26 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2010 :  11:37:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought you were not supposed to give out your commission number?
Go to Top of Page

jbelmont

California
3106 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2010 :  01:44:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbelmont's Homepage  Reply with Quote
When you get business cards, there are several things that can make them make a better impression.

(1) Your commission #. You will appear more professional and official if your notary commission # is printed on your business card. Of course, when you renew your commission, you will have a different commission #, so you will have to redraw your cards.

(2) A picture of yourself ads personality to the card and this is popular with successful realtors and other professionals.

(3) Great artwork always is a great touch.
I have pictures of Yellow mountain in China on my card.

(4) A registered business name makes you look professional. Many notaries do business using their personal name, but "Ellen's notary service" looks much more professional than "Ellen Smith, Notary Public".

(5) A phone number, address, and email address are generally helpful

(6) A link to your social media sites is always good.

(7) Hiring a professional designer to do the layout for you could give your card a great look.

Your opinions are always welcomed!

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion Forum © 123notary.com Go To Top Of Page

Tips for using the forum
The most important feature on the forum is the search box. You can look up a particular word, phrase, name of a company, and see a potentially large list of search results with which you can obtain data. Filters are also valuable. If you want to find popular posts, you can use the number of views filter. You can also see whats new with the active topics link. Email us at info@123notary.com if you need any help using the notary forum.

Resources
The notary public resource page is valuable as it has links to all of the free information pages for notaries. Pages linked to the resource page include a page that teaches you everything you need to know to get the most out of your listing. Another page teaches you all the secrets of getting paid. There is a link to our free list of signing companies. There is also a glossary, learning tools, and much more. If you are a notary, the free tips we give are invaluable.

Popular pages
If you visit 123notary.com often, you might want to visit some of our most popular pages such as the California notary, Texas notary, Florida notary, and New York notary pages to browse the site. We also have valuable pages for notaries such as the free list of signing companies, and the resource page. Please also visit our get notarized and notarized letter page.