123Notary
Enter Zip, City, or County... i.e. orange,NY or 90019
Search Method:    regular time edocs
Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion ForumDear Signing Agents,
You need to REGISTER and have a password to post or reply to discussion topics. Please remember, your password for your listing on 123notary.com is NOT RELATED to and is different from your password on the forum. Your password on the forum can be whatever you want it to be.
Lookup a specific signing company, word, or phrase
Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion Forum
Register | String Format | Index Format | Active Topics | Hot Topics | Preview Topics | Advanced Search | Members | Profile | Tutorial | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The 123notary.com Forum for Signing Agents
 Free For All
 People who say 'I can't write that name'
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
1 -1  Be the first person to vote!
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dannotary

California
265 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2015 :  7:14:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dannotary's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have been working mostly with local title companies this year and its a lot different, a lot better. I ask escrow officers how they handle it. They say just let them sign how they will, if that's their signature. However, working for signing agencies they give you hell as usual. I am not working for signing agencies anymore except for a few who pay my fee and who I have known for 15 years and who never hassle me about anything. That's all. NO new ones. It is more relaxing and gratifying to work only with locals. The signing companies are the ones who make your life impossible over nothing. Curiously, the title companies are appreciative because I don't make mistakes, am professional and well liked by signers.
Go to Top of Page

IntegrityNotary

69 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2015 :  05:18:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, it is very aggravating-getting the borrowers to sign as typed or properly date the documents. It's a major struggle getting these ADULTS to follow instructions and even REMEMBER the date from one document to the next. You wouldn't believe it, but I have even encountered teachers who have trouble signing their name as typed. I thought for sure they could get it!

Add to this a list of annoying things borrowers say and do without fail at almost every closing:

"How many of these do you do a day?"
"Can I see YOUR id?"
"Oh, I can't keep this pen?" (I really have to keep an eye on those pen stealers!)
"Why do we have to sign in blue ink?"

OR....

the credit score sheets where you'll have to wait while the couples giggle and compare each others scores to see who has the highest

same with the name affidavits-they WILL compare all the crazy name variations

Then the usual-dogs barking, licking, breathing on you, kids screaming
etc.

I think this is why I prefer bank branch closings. The borrowers tend to be more well-behaved and you can sign in a clean, civilized setting.
Go to Top of Page

LindaH

Florida
1754 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2015 :  04:23:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dannotary

It is particularly maddening for me when I am ignored after telling them to sign as it is printed and I get all kinds of other crap. I have had it come back on me, where title and lender expect me to go back and have it re signed and returned at my expense. I have told them to go to hell too. As notaries we cant force people to do anything and I have had people sign a statement saying that I gave them the instructions and they have chosen not to follow them and therefore I am not liable. I also call and tell someone that this is how they are coming back, all messed up.
How many of you have had docs come back because they have not signed as it is printed???? I am really curious to know .

I have not had any returned for undersigning, thankfully.

And when borrowers argue that they can't do it, that's not how they sign, that's not their name, yada yada, I just calmly tell them "Well, this is how you chose to take title, so this is now how lender requires it be signed. If you don't you risk this loan not going through". They then are very careful.

Linda
http://www.columbiacountynotary.webs.com
http://www.notary.net/websites/LindaHubbell
Go to Top of Page

Dannotary

California
265 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2015 :  10:43:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dannotary's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It is particularly maddening for me when I am ignored after telling them to sign as it is printed and I get all kinds of other crap. I have had it come back on me, where title and lender expect me to go back and have it re signed and returned at my expense. I have told them to go to hell too. As notaries we cant force people to do anything and I have had people sign a statement saying that I gave them the instructions and they have chosen not to follow them and therefore I am not liable. I also call and tell someone that this is how they are coming back, all messed up.
How many of you have had docs come back because they have not signed as it is printed???? I am really curious to know .
Go to Top of Page

crtowles

California
553 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2015 :  5:28:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A napkin Jeremy?...lol. I keep blank sheets of paper in my bag.

But, I don't need them to practice. You just need to pay attention to them. Plus when I get those instructions that say have borrower sign exactly as printed I proceed with caution. If the borrower has any objection to this. I will let them sign any way they choose as long as it MATCHES the signature on their ID. Never had one come back...EVER.
Go to Top of Page

jbelmont

California
3106 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2015 :  12:27:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbelmont's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If they "forgot" how to sign a particular name variation. Have them "practice" on a napkin!

Go to Top of Page

Dannotary

California
265 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2015 :  07:26:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Dannotary's Homepage  Reply with Quote
They can't write their middle name or initial in cursive, they forgot' how, or they whine and complain that its not their 'legal signature'. They just go ahead and write whatever they want after I instruct them that the lender wants them to sign their name exactly as it is printed on the signature line, do it the same every time on every page. They just can't follow instructions.

When it comes to Signature/Name Affidavits, forget about it! That is getting like pulling teeth these days. They can't write the variations in cursive , so I tell them to print it then but just to duplicate, reproduce, copy or somehow put that same name on this signature line over here. How else can I say it?????? Any suggestions??

This is almost all loan signers these days and I find it most astonishing as I live in an area where the education and income level is generally high, and yet they act so ignorant on some silly little things like this. I guess you can put shoes on a pig but it still 'oinks'.

Also, when I begin an appointment I absolutely cringe. I instruct them that lender wants them to sign as it is printed , don't add anything or abbreviate anything or leave anything out that is on the signature line. In order for me to be paid for doing your appointment, this must be followed. I have had signing services want me to resign whole sets of docs when someone doesn't like the way the borrowers signed so I don't take any chances anymore. Everything is punitive on the notary. Then, one second later they begin signing whatever they want to and it is many times it is obviously not matching. What did I just say? Am I from outer space? I want to reach across the table and slap their face. This signature issue is enough by itself to make me want to stop doing this work all together. Drives me nuts. Especially irritating because this is not what caused a global economic crisis. If a fraction of the scrutiny that is put on a notary signing agent these days was put on the lending industry we would never have had a crisis.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion Forum © 123notary.com Go To Top Of Page

Tips for using the forum
The most important feature on the forum is the search box. You can look up a particular word, phrase, name of a company, and see a potentially large list of search results with which you can obtain data. Filters are also valuable. If you want to find popular posts, you can use the number of views filter. You can also see whats new with the active topics link. Email us at info@123notary.com if you need any help using the notary forum.

Resources
The notary public resource page is valuable as it has links to all of the free information pages for notaries. Pages linked to the resource page include a page that teaches you everything you need to know to get the most out of your listing. Another page teaches you all the secrets of getting paid. There is a link to our free list of signing companies. There is also a glossary, learning tools, and much more. If you are a notary, the free tips we give are invaluable.

Popular pages
If you visit 123notary.com often, you might want to visit some of our most popular pages such as the California notary, Texas notary, Florida notary, and New York notary pages to browse the site. We also have valuable pages for notaries such as the free list of signing companies, and the resource page. Please also visit our get notarized and notarized letter page.