123Notary
Enter Zip, City, or County... i.e. orange,NY or 90019
Search Method:    regular time edocs
Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion ForumDear Signing Agents,
You need to REGISTER and have a password to post or reply to discussion topics. Please remember, your password for your listing on 123notary.com is NOT RELATED to and is different from your password on the forum. Your password on the forum can be whatever you want it to be.
Lookup a specific signing company, word, or phrase
Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion Forum
Register | String Format | Index Format | Active Topics | Hot Topics | Preview Topics | Advanced Search | Members | Profile | Tutorial | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The 123notary.com Forum for Signing Agents
 Free For All
 Borrower is a stroke victim
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
1 -1  Be the first person to vote!
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dannotary

California
265 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2015 :  7:36:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dannotary's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Many years ago, I signed a loan with an 85 year old couple who had both had strokes. She was incapacitated, uncommunicative and stiff as a board in an easy chair. He had to sign for her as her POA and then his own name and then, initial for her mistake in name on all the pages as per instructions from title co. I talked to title about making a corrective deed for her name so that Mr. wouldn't have to go through all this again in the future. This appt. took 5 and a half hours!!!!. When I went back the next day with the corrective deed explaining that this fixed her name mistake so he wouldn't ever have to initial so many times again, and he hollered at me! No good deed goes unpunished.
Go to Top of Page

wac283

South Carolina
9 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2015 :  1:05:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had a similar situation with the borrowers being very elderly, and the wife was disabled due to a stroke. When I say elderly, I mean in their 90's. The husband fell asleep numerous times in the middle of signing his name, and his wife began choking at one point. Just thankful that the home health care worker was present to come to her aid. It took over 3 hours for the signing to be completed!

Definitely would have asked for more money had I known going in what the situation was. Sweet couple though.

Cheryl M Sievers
Go to Top of Page

Lee-AR

Arkansas
678 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2015 :  3:55:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's been my experience that if the Lender is unaware that a P.O.A. is involved, they want you to stop and they will order a re-draw to include the P.O.A. wording they want.

Best of my knowledge, it's not your decision. Same thing for 'X'--then they usually want a uninvolved witness.

But, this could be something that's state-specific.

If you don't value your time and experience, nobody else will.
Go to Top of Page

betty1957

Illinois
35 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2015 :  11:11:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, new to this forum. I have completed ~350 in two years, so I'm not brand new. I did a signing last year where the co-borrower was a recent stroke victim. NOBODY had told me about this, and I believe that his wife, the borrower and his P.O.A. had not even told their lender, although I can't be sure of that.
I had, of course confirmed the appointment and gotten directions to their house, but I was shocked to be bringing over 180 pages, most of which needed signatures and initials by both.
I had not been given authority to have the borrower, again wife who had P.O.A. sign HIS signatures. When I got back to office, both attorneys (DH and associate) told me that legally the co-borrower could have signed with an "X", or the P.O.A. could have signed all signature/initial pages for him.

Certainly this was an uncomfortable signing. He did, indeed sign everything, but we had to take breaks.
I will definitely ask for $more if this ever happens again.
It's irritating when you are left in the dark and go into these situations blind, and it isn't my responsibility to make special arrangements AS I ARRIVE AT A SIGNING.
What do You all think?

betty j. dedman
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion Forum © 123notary.com Go To Top Of Page

Tips for using the forum
The most important feature on the forum is the search box. You can look up a particular word, phrase, name of a company, and see a potentially large list of search results with which you can obtain data. Filters are also valuable. If you want to find popular posts, you can use the number of views filter. You can also see whats new with the active topics link. Email us at info@123notary.com if you need any help using the notary forum.

Resources
The notary public resource page is valuable as it has links to all of the free information pages for notaries. Pages linked to the resource page include a page that teaches you everything you need to know to get the most out of your listing. Another page teaches you all the secrets of getting paid. There is a link to our free list of signing companies. There is also a glossary, learning tools, and much more. If you are a notary, the free tips we give are invaluable.

Popular pages
If you visit 123notary.com often, you might want to visit some of our most popular pages such as the California notary, Texas notary, Florida notary, and New York notary pages to browse the site. We also have valuable pages for notaries such as the free list of signing companies, and the resource page. Please also visit our get notarized and notarized letter page.