123Notary
Enter Zip, City, or County... i.e. orange,NY or 90019
Search Method:    regular time edocs
Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion ForumDear Signing Agents,
You need to REGISTER and have a password to post or reply to discussion topics. Please remember, your password for your listing on 123notary.com is NOT RELATED to and is different from your password on the forum. Your password on the forum can be whatever you want it to be.
Lookup a specific signing company, word, or phrase
Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion Forum
Register | String Format | Index Format | Active Topics | Hot Topics | Preview Topics | Advanced Search | Members | Profile | Tutorial | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The 123notary.com Forum for Signing Agents
 Free For All
 Bringing a gift to the client
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
1 -1  Be the first person to vote!
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mbs653

Maryland
45 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2014 :  05:32:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't bring a gift to the borrower but I do carry applications for the Homestead Tax Credit and check the state website while at clients home to see if they are getting the discount. Many states have a property tax discount to homeowners that use their homes as primary residences. In Maryland they get a discounted property tax bill and when registered it limits the state how much they can increase assessments on their homes. That's gift enough. Just know your state laws.

IleneMd
Go to Top of Page

California
7 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2014 :  7:00:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Speaking of gifts. I pass out ink pens. They are the same color as my business card and have my info on them Seems appropriate as I am going to have them sign the docs with them. I tell them they can keep them at the end so that way I am not calling attention to them as a
advertising tool.
For my clients that are not loan signing clients I give fridge magnet with my business card and the pens as gifts. So far, everyone seems to enjoy it and I feel good about it. Very small investment as well. On-line you can get 500-1000 pens for a small amount per pen.
Go to Top of Page

dlove

Missouri
14 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2014 :  10:57:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think so, seems sort of gratuitous. This is business! They are not paying for our services in the first place. (Well, maybe indirectly!) I do however paperclip my business card to the borr. set of docs. I have never had an issue w/ it. Don't make a big deal out of it. I just present them their copies in a manila folder, "these are your copies for your records, same as you just signed, in the same order. Here's my card, if you ever need anything, just give me a call, and I'll be happy to take care of it for you." Simple as that...

David G. Love
Go to Top of Page

azdocsign

Arizona
89 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2014 :  4:26:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit azdocsign's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Be very careful! Some of the title companies and signing agencies definitely do not want us to give gifts to the borrowers. Some even have this direction in their confirmation or the contacts we sign. Why? You mentioned leaving your business card - some of your clients may consider this to be advertising and are concerned as you mentioned it - signers may not like it.

I do agree it adds a personal touch, but stopped this proceedure when I realized some of my clients were giving this instruction.

I hope this helps you make a informed decision whether to continue or not. Just wanted to give you my past experiences.

Go to Top of Page

profnot

41 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2014 :  1:57:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit profnot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bobbiesuzanne

Hey! What are your thoughts on bringing your client a small token of appreciation of their business? I started doing this a couple of years ago! I just wanted to show my gratitude for their business and felt it added a personal touch!

I always buy the same brand of chocolate....a small bag $3.....and present after signing is complete. I sometimes add my business card to the bag. Most people are surprised and generally appreciative!

Bobbie Suzanne Oakes

I think you are super smart to do this. A great way to build a client and referral base for non-loan / general notary work. A great example of creative/guerilla marketing.

KUDOS to YOU !!!
Go to Top of Page

kandy1099

Pennsylvania
121 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2014 :  12:52:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit kandy1099's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I thought this was referring to sending title or signing service clients small gifts. I actually had coffee mugs made up with my logo and info on them, and filled them with hershey kisses and mailed them out to my clients. It was a big success, but when the work is not there, they still can't call me, so in slow times like it is now, I feel it would just be taking away from the very small amount of money I am making these days.

BUT when things pick up, hopefully soon, I am considering some form of handout. some type of desk type gift with my logo and info on it for reminders... if things even improve ;(

Go to Top of Page

dfye@mcttelecom.com

New Hampshire
681 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2013 :  07:26:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit dfye@mcttelecom.com's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Diana,

I completely agree with you.

Legal Eagle Para Professional Services
Go to Top of Page

DianaNotary

California
171 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2013 :  3:39:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit DianaNotary's Homepage  Reply with Quote
... with all we do (as notaries) to make sure the documents are signed, notarized and delivered- we are the ones who should receive gifts!
just saying....
I actually received gifts from clients during Christmas time...

http://www.DianaNotary.com
Go to Top of Page

dfye@mcttelecom.com

New Hampshire
681 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2012 :  12:21:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit dfye@mcttelecom.com's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bobbiesuzanne

Hey! What are your thoughts on bringing your client a small token of appreciation of their business?
Bobbie Suzanne Oakes

Please remember that the borrowers are NOT your clients but are the clients of the lending institution. Our client is the company who assigned the closing. With that said, it is not advisable to leave a gift of any kind unless it is directly from the lender. As DianaNotary put it, not everyone is appreciative. Not to mention what if the borrowers are allergic to chocolate? Food is never a good idea. Let the lender best serve their clients. A business card should suffice.

Legal Eagle Para Professional Services
Go to Top of Page

mapsypam

North Carolina
42 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2012 :  04:25:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry, I was just being funny. It is a very nice thing to do and I'm sure most people appreciate it. I'm just cheap! LOL. I actually was leaning more to having candy for kids, or dog treats, but then some people dont want their kids or dogs to have food from strangers- A little piece of chocolate would be good for the brain though BEFORE the signing. Studies show that caffeine in small amounts improve test scores in college students because it improves concentration

Pamela Philyaw
Go to Top of Page

DianaNotary

California
171 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2012 :  11:06:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit DianaNotary's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This is a great gesture, I've done it myself. But I stopped....gifting.. Some clients don't appreciate it... This made me feel uncomfortable...too bad there are people like this out there...

http://www.DianaNotary.com
Go to Top of Page

bobbiesuzanne

Missouri
7 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2012 :  12:31:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mapsypam

I thought about doing something like that before, but then i was like "ummmmmmm..no."

Pamela Philyaw

Actually...I am growing my business and this has become very lucrative for me! I am making a difference and bringing good karma to the closing! I know the signing companies appreciate this, as well as the clients! It makes my position more fun and is so inexpensive to make someone smile! That's just how I roll! Give it a shot and you will see what I mean! Good luck to you Pamela!!

Bobbie Suzanne Oakes
Go to Top of Page

bobbiesuzanne

Missouri
7 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2012 :  12:23:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mapsypam

I thought about doing something like that before, but then i was like "ummmmmmm..no."

Pamela Philyaw

LOL!! You are cracking me up Pamela!!!

Bobbie Suzanne Oakes
Go to Top of Page

mapsypam

North Carolina
42 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2012 :  4:11:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Pamela Philyaw
Go to Top of Page

bobbiesuzanne

Missouri
7 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2012 :  9:22:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey! What are your thoughts on bringing your client a small token of appreciation of their business? I started doing this a couple of years ago! I just wanted to show my gratitude for their business and felt it added a personal touch!

I always buy the same brand of chocolate....a small bag $3.....and present after signing is complete. I sometimes add my business card to the bag. Most people are surprised and generally appreciative!

Bobbie Suzanne Oakes
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion Forum © 123notary.com Go To Top Of Page

Tips for using the forum
The most important feature on the forum is the search box. You can look up a particular word, phrase, name of a company, and see a potentially large list of search results with which you can obtain data. Filters are also valuable. If you want to find popular posts, you can use the number of views filter. You can also see whats new with the active topics link. Email us at info@123notary.com if you need any help using the notary forum.

Resources
The notary public resource page is valuable as it has links to all of the free information pages for notaries. Pages linked to the resource page include a page that teaches you everything you need to know to get the most out of your listing. Another page teaches you all the secrets of getting paid. There is a link to our free list of signing companies. There is also a glossary, learning tools, and much more. If you are a notary, the free tips we give are invaluable.

Popular pages
If you visit 123notary.com often, you might want to visit some of our most popular pages such as the California notary, Texas notary, Florida notary, and New York notary pages to browse the site. We also have valuable pages for notaries such as the free list of signing companies, and the resource page. Please also visit our get notarized and notarized letter page.