123Notary
Enter Zip, City, or County... i.e. orange,NY or 90019
Search Method:    regular time edocs
Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion ForumDear Signing Agents,
You need to REGISTER and have a password to post or reply to discussion topics. Please remember, your password for your listing on 123notary.com is NOT RELATED to and is different from your password on the forum. Your password on the forum can be whatever you want it to be.
Lookup a specific signing company, word, or phrase
Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion Forum
Register | String Format | Index Format | Active Topics | Hot Topics | Preview Topics | Advanced Search | Members | Profile | Tutorial | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The 123notary.com Forum for Signing Agents
 Humorous and Interesting Post Archives
 Backdating - by "Stamper"
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
1 -1 1 person liked this post.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

PWinFL

Florida
469 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2010 :  05:43:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit PWinFL's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hollyhock

PAW
I would really appreciate an answer.

I would be more than happy to provide an answer if I know it. However, since the answer depends on what state you're in, I cannot provide a concise answer. (I take it you are not in Florida as I did provide a concise answer based on Florida statutes.)

Please tell us what state you are in. Your notary handbook, if your state has one, may also provide the correct answer.

IMPO, whenever a document is signed, including 'resigned', a new signature would require a new notarization, following state notary laws. As far as I know, every state requires the notary to use the current date in the notary certificate. (Current date meaning the actual date the notarization is performed.)

Never drive any faster than your guardian angel can fly.

I am not an attorney licensed to practice law in the State of Florida,
and I may not give legal advice or accept fees for legal advice.

Visit us online at http://www.PAWnotary.com
Go to Top of Page

Hollyhock

8 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2010 :  6:04:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hollyhock's Homepage  Reply with Quote
PAW
I would really appreciate an answer. The title company has asked us to have documents resigned and have the borrower use the original date not today's date?
What is your advice on this?
And, can we use an AKA on the notary acknowledgement?

Go to Top of Page

PWinFL

Florida
469 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2010 :  5:25:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit PWinFL's Homepage  Reply with Quote
In Florida, a notary cannot alter any document once it has been signed. In the case of an error, again by statute, the notary is obligated to do a new notarization. Along with that, the date must be the actual date of the notarization. Therefore, if a document is resigned, it takes a new notarization and must be dated for the current date. No ifs, ands, or buts about it.

Never drive any faster than your guardian angel can fly.

I am not an attorney licensed to practice law in the State of Florida,
and I may not give legal advice or accept fees for legal advice.

Visit us online at http://www.PAWnotary.com
Go to Top of Page

Hollyhock

8 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2010 :  4:49:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hollyhock's Homepage  Reply with Quote
When a notary has made an error and must go back and have documents resigned by the borrower with the new signature but with the original date, how should the notary date the notary block? The original date or the date that it is be resigned.

Go to Top of Page

timgatewood

Tennessee
27 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2008 :  07:58:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit timgatewood's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The simplest way to answer this is WHY is the notary there? To certify as an impartial witness that certain events took place at a certain time and place. When you sign the notary certificate (whether it is a jurat or an acknowledgment) you as the notary are placing your official word upon the truth of the statements made in that certificate.

So, the way my attorney explained it to me, on any notarized document, you just have to make sure that whatever the certificate says is true. If it says they appeared before you on Friday and they did not appear before you on Friday (even if they did appear before you on Saturday), you have just used your official office to commit a fraud. Even if no one is being hurt by it now, years later the entire transaction could be challenged legally over this backdating.

In short, they may want their money a day early now, but a sharp attorney a few months or years down the road could get them their house for free -- and it would all be on you as the notary who did not do your job properly.

NEVER BACKDATE. NEVER LIE in the notary certificate. Those are the rules as explained by my attorney and in every reference, legal or otherwise, that I have ever seen on the duties of a notary. Just keep it clean and tell your client that backdating is simply not allowed in your state (and it is not allowed in any state, so far as I have ever heard).

-- Tim Gatewood
Notary Memphis

quote:
Originally posted by jbelmont

Here's the situation . . . .
A North Carolina signing agent is asked to notarize loan documents with yesterday's date so that all the document dates will match. No one is trying to do anything underhanded. The borrower understands that his 3 day "right of recission" is going to be cut by a day, but he's ok with that because he wants his cash a day sooner.

No one is trying to create a false alibi with the fake date. It's merrly a matter of not having to create new documentation.

Is this illegal? Is is immoral? Is it possible the notary can lose his or her commission?

Originally posted by "Stamper"

Notary Memphis
Traveling Notary, Signing Agent & Field Inspector
Serving Memphis & west Tenn.
Go to Top of Page

n/a

114 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2008 :  11:09:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit n/a's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dfye@mcttelecom.com

Never back date any document no matter what!

Legal Eagle Para Professional Services

Go to Top of Page

dfye@mcttelecom.com

New Hampshire
681 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2008 :  02:02:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit dfye@mcttelecom.com's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Never back date any document no matter what!

Legal Eagle Para Professional Services
Go to Top of Page

n/a

114 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2008 :  1:33:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit n/a's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RTS

Interesting you would say that Burton.

My dear colleague, for each of us, our perception is our reality. I am confident that we will achieve more by working together than by crossing swords on the field of battle.

I hope you agree with me that we will provide comforting support to each other, both on this board and elsewhere, with the goal that our mutual efforts will establish and maintain an environment of mutual courtesy and professionalism in a field all too often lacking respect for others. Everyone has a family that we love and we work hard to support our families as well as those whom we are hired to serve.

Regards.

Burton F.
Go to Top of Page

n/a

114 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2008 :  07:30:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit n/a's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jbelmont

A North Carolina signing agent is asked to notarize loan documents with yesterday's date so that all the document dates will match. No one is trying to do anything underhanded. The borrower understands that his 3 day "right of recission" is going to be cut by a day, but he's ok with that because he wants his cash a day sooner.

No one is trying to create a false alibi with the fake date. It's merrly a matter of not having to create new documentation.

Is this illegal? Is is immoral? Is it possible the notary can lose his or her commission?

If you have to ask, don't do it. The general consensus is that you are taking excessive legal and administrative risks by backdating documents. This is an all-to-common practice that should be avoided.

Burton F.
Go to Top of Page

jbelmont

California
3106 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2007 :  06:22:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbelmont's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion Forum © 123notary.com Go To Top Of Page

Tips for using the forum
The most important feature on the forum is the search box. You can look up a particular word, phrase, name of a company, and see a potentially large list of search results with which you can obtain data. Filters are also valuable. If you want to find popular posts, you can use the number of views filter. You can also see whats new with the active topics link. Email us at info@123notary.com if you need any help using the notary forum.

Resources
The notary public resource page is valuable as it has links to all of the free information pages for notaries. Pages linked to the resource page include a page that teaches you everything you need to know to get the most out of your listing. Another page teaches you all the secrets of getting paid. There is a link to our free list of signing companies. There is also a glossary, learning tools, and much more. If you are a notary, the free tips we give are invaluable.

Popular pages
If you visit 123notary.com often, you might want to visit some of our most popular pages such as the California notary, Texas notary, Florida notary, and New York notary pages to browse the site. We also have valuable pages for notaries such as the free list of signing companies, and the resource page. Please also visit our get notarized and notarized letter page.