123Notary
Enter Zip, City, or County... i.e. orange,NY or 90019
Search Method:    regular time edocs
Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion ForumDear Signing Agents,
You need to REGISTER and have a password to post or reply to discussion topics. Please remember, your password for your listing on 123notary.com is NOT RELATED to and is different from your password on the forum. Your password on the forum can be whatever you want it to be.
Lookup a specific signing company, word, or phrase
Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion Forum
Register | String Format | Index Format | Active Topics | Hot Topics | Preview Topics | Advanced Search | Members | Profile | Tutorial | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The 123notary.com Forum for Signing Agents
 Free For All
 Lost checks? Gulp!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
1 -1  Be the first person to vote!
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lee-AR

Arkansas
678 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2012 :  11:15:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I staple to HUD now. Only (not really--they did find 'em) lost checks I experienced were when I was putting the check in a screaming neon pink #10 envelope and writing 'CHECK ENCLOSED' in big black block letters on both sides of this envelope...and yes, right up top and binder clipped.

How can this possibly get lost/misplaced???

I dunno, but it did--twice in one year. Been stapling to the HUD ever since...'bout 12 years now. I don't like stapling, but it seems to work.

Use drop boxes, too, with a lot fewer hassles than when I was using the manned stores. Can't remember the last drop box problem--years & years ago.

If you don't value your time and experience, nobody else will.
Go to Top of Page

Renee

Michigan
549 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2012 :  3:54:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Renee's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I primarily do purchase closings these past few years, and I have NEVER and would never staple a check to anything. In most offices, the first thing that will happen to that package is that it will be opened by the receptionist, and put through the scanner - staples and scanners do not mix well.

All checks are put into an envelope that is marked "FUNDS" in neon marker, and placed on the top of the pkg. I have never once had a check misplaced (or shredded by the scanner) once it left my hands.

Also, I have used a drop-box for both UPS & FedEx since 2005, for thousands & thousands of packages, and have yet to have a hiccup.
Go to Top of Page

rparker

Virginia
3 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2012 :  07:10:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is one of the reasons I am thankful for being a notary in Virginia. We are not permitted to handle funds. I request a second label from the title company which I give to the borrower along with instructions that they must send the check by noon the following business day. It is totally out of my hands.
Go to Top of Page

Dannotary

California
265 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2012 :  08:35:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Dannotary's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Some great suggestions here from everyone. My thanks to all of you. It is great to have this forum where we can gain from learning how others manage their signings etc. Making extra trip and miles to go directly to Fed x or UPS and drop packages and wait sometimes 15 minutes in line to get the receipt, is yet another extra and new function we perform., at least when checks are attached. Some co's want us to do this for both UPS and Fed x packages whether a check is being returned or not, because evidently, all boxes are not being picked up everyday or other problems with those commpanies, especially UPS. THis is another example on a long list, of how we are becoming even more 3rd world in the USA we therefore NEED TO CHARGE MORE $ for EXTRA SERVICES. Remember, we as notaries have unlimited liability which means you could be living the rest of yor life in a used bread truck in Walmarts parking lot.
Go to Top of Page

jbelmont

California
3106 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2012 :  1:38:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbelmont's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Although I dislike the idea of stapling checks, in order for the check not to get lost, you can:

Step 1: Staple the check (with the stapler you carry around with you in your notary bag) to the Deed of Trust right on the top... Don't put the staple anywhere near the wording or you are in big trouble. This way they can not lose it even if they try.

Step 2... document in your journal next to the entry for the Deed -- that you staple the check a quarter inch below the top of page 1 of the Deed of Trust.

Step 3 -- ALWAYS go to a STAFFED fedex / UPS station when sending a package with a check no matter now much longer this takes. If you put it in a drop box, there is a half a percent chance that there will be a screwup and that your package will never get picked up. It is not worth that chance. It happened to me and others.

But, when it happened to me there was no check (thank god). So, that makes it not as bad.... and we eventually found the package... it was sitting at the bottom of the box, and the new driver forgot to check that box because he didn't know his route well... ooops!!!

Go to Top of Page

Lisa T.

California
391 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2011 :  5:10:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lisa T.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
No, I have never lost a check and never been accused of not including the check.

Here's what I do: I bought a box of odd sized neon colored envelopes that I use when funds are collected from the borrower. I make a BIG SHOW of this in front of the borrowers - I make sure that they are watching me. I take a green sharpie and write "$$$ FUNDS $$$" across the front. I put the check in, use a glue stick to seal it, then put a seal/sticker over the lip of the envelope. Then I tap the envelope so the check falls to the bottom and then staple that envelope to either a blank sheet of paper or a junk sheet a paper (like the notary instruction sheet). Then I place that on top of the stack which I use a binder clip to hold all. Then I place all of that in a 10 X 13 clasp envelope.

In order for the TC agent to get to the check they must go through a whole "routine" of opening the clasp envelope, taking the binder clip off, tearing the neon envelope from the paper, then tearing open the envelope.

If the TC agent were to try and accuse me of not sending the check (because he/she misplaced it, then the borrowers are automaically on my side - they'll KNOW the TC agent is lying because they can say they saw me put the check in a neon envelope, seal it, staple it, and stack and bind it on the pile.
Go to Top of Page

TGS1985

California
208 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2011 :  12:58:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit TGS1985's Homepage  Reply with Quote
When I first started as a Signing Agent a mentor warned me about collecting checks. She told me more often than not by the time the documents finally arrive at their destination the check ends up lose in the shipping envelope. As a result, most secretaries take out the binder clipped bundle of documents and figure that’s all that’s in there and end up throwing away the envelope, check in all. It would be easier to just be able to staple the check to a document but most lenders now have a strict "No Staples" policy, so I'm force to use a paper clip.

So, what I do is paper clip the check on the very first page of the loan packet and on the that first page, behind the check I post a sticky note stating the following, "If you are reading this then the payment check is loose in the mailing envelope."

So far I have yet to receive a "Where's the check?" call from a lender. Still even my method isn't even fool proof. The post-it could also fall off during transit, or worse the following could happen...

I was told a story about a notary that did practically the same thing I did. When the documents arrive the lender saw the note, check the envelope and still found no check. The lender accused the signing agent of failing to collect the check and pulling a fast one. They threaten to not pay for the signing because it was incomplete. She eventually had to go out and collect another check, deal with the signers in that regards and send it again at her own cost... A week later she gets a phone call from the same lender. Turns out when the secretary pulled out the documents the check was stuck to the back and fell off, landing right under a desk, only to be found a week later by the cleaning staff. The company call to apologize but from what I hear the Signing Agent let them have it big time, and rightfully so.

You can take all the precautions that you can but like Jeremy said, it’s all up to the check gods in the end.

- Tyler Soares -
Go to Top of Page

jbelmont

California
3106 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2011 :  11:07:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbelmont's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You did everything right except that you forgot to pray to the check gods. Put that on your list for next time.

Go to Top of Page

Dannotary

California
265 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2011 :  7:08:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dannotary's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes. I have been accused of holding or not returning checks 4 times now. The last one was for 80k. Checks were stapled to the docs and supsequently lost at the destination. Everyone under the sun including the borrowers calling me and accusing me of losing the check. Very embarrassing because I have a high degree of care, caution, integrity in performing my work. The way notaries get accused of so many crazy things leads me to believe that there must be a lot of em out there who do a sloppy job. Afterall, they pull us off a list and dont know much about us. After a couple days no more calls and noone let me know they found it or that they were sorry for accusing me unjustly. Now, I use a hold harmless agreement now in which there is a part that gives the borrowers the option of returning the package themselves or wiring, or giving me permission expressly to mail it for them with funds attached. I give them the tracking #.At least it is an acknowledgment of my best intentions.
Go to Top of Page

jbelmont

California
3106 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2011 :  11:37:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbelmont's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sometimes at signings, a cashier's check is exchanged. Have you ever lost one of these? Or has anyone accused you of not sending it?

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion Forum © 123notary.com Go To Top Of Page

Tips for using the forum
The most important feature on the forum is the search box. You can look up a particular word, phrase, name of a company, and see a potentially large list of search results with which you can obtain data. Filters are also valuable. If you want to find popular posts, you can use the number of views filter. You can also see whats new with the active topics link. Email us at info@123notary.com if you need any help using the notary forum.

Resources
The notary public resource page is valuable as it has links to all of the free information pages for notaries. Pages linked to the resource page include a page that teaches you everything you need to know to get the most out of your listing. Another page teaches you all the secrets of getting paid. There is a link to our free list of signing companies. There is also a glossary, learning tools, and much more. If you are a notary, the free tips we give are invaluable.

Popular pages
If you visit 123notary.com often, you might want to visit some of our most popular pages such as the California notary, Texas notary, Florida notary, and New York notary pages to browse the site. We also have valuable pages for notaries such as the free list of signing companies, and the resource page. Please also visit our get notarized and notarized letter page.