123Notary
Enter Zip, City, or County... i.e. orange,NY or 90019
Search Method:    regular time edocs
Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion ForumDear Signing Agents,
You need to REGISTER and have a password to post or reply to discussion topics. Please remember, your password for your listing on 123notary.com is NOT RELATED to and is different from your password on the forum. Your password on the forum can be whatever you want it to be.
Lookup a specific signing company, word, or phrase
Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion Forum
Register | String Format | Index Format | Active Topics | Hot Topics | Preview Topics | Advanced Search | Members | Profile | Tutorial | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The 123notary.com Forum for Signing Agents
 Free For All
 Enough is Enough
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
1 -1  Be the first person to vote!
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JZeiger

California
2 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2020 :  7:25:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In Pennsylvania, if "Notary" is listed on the CD, the borrower is ultimately responsible for your fee.
Go to Top of Page

CopperheadVA

Virginia
420 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2010 :  6:03:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
<< many NSA's are very selective who they do business with. >>

Agree with Paul. Always check out a company on this website and also on the Notary Rotary site. I have very few collection problems because I investigate every new company that calls me. If I accept a job, I check them out and if I find that other notaries have collection issues with that company, I will give the job back ASAP. Don't believe their lies that: all the other notaries don't know how to properly invoice, or the check was lost in the mail, or they just changed bank accounts and are in the process of cutting checks, or the title company hasn't paid them, or they have a new person in accounting and everything is all caught up and all their problems are in the past, etc. All lies. The reviews posted by other notaries tell the real story.

Also, I will code every company in my phone with their name so I know who is calling me next time. If it's a company that I don't want to work for, I put a "No!" in front of the name.

I had a call today from Speedy Closings. I asked, "Is this Speedy Closings in New Jersey?" She replied that it was. I then politely told her that I will not work for her company due to payment issues reported by other notaries. She went on to the next notary on the list, and I coded the number in my phone with a "No!" in front of it. Collection issue avoided.

CopperheadVA

Go to Top of Page

PWinFL

Florida
469 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2010 :  5:31:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit PWinFL's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No, you cannot ask the borrowers to pay you. Your contract is with the signing service or title company. If whoever hired you goes under, then you need to file a claim with the BK court, assuming they file bankruptcy. If they just up and not pay you, you may be able to get a judgment against them, but collecting is still a problem.

Because of all the signing services, and a few local title companies, falling off the face of the earth, many NSA's are very selective who they do business with. Picking the right business partners is an art and luck. Pick wisely to minimize your potential losses. In the past 10 years, I've only been stiffed once. The fee wasn't worth the expensive to seek justice but the lesson learned was priceless.

Never drive any faster than your guardian angel can fly.

I am not an attorney licensed to practice law in the State of Florida,
and I may not give legal advice or accept fees for legal advice.

Visit us online at http://www.PAWnotary.com
Go to Top of Page

kandy1099

Pennsylvania
121 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2010 :  2:06:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit kandy1099's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What do you do, when the signing service or title company closes? I have been taking losing so much money for companies that are closing their doors before paying me. I contacted the title company for the signing services and they already paid the signing service and say there is nothing they can do about it. Isn't there a letter we can have the borrower sign, saying that is the title company/signing services/law office, does pay we can request the money from the borrower?

Go to Top of Page

PWinFL

Florida
469 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2010 :  09:59:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit PWinFL's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BarbaraC

If you read the HUD, when you are at the closing, YOUR FEE is listed on there. Therefore in most cases your fee WAS PAID AT CLOSING, and is listed in "title fees" usually around DOUBLE what we are actually paid (assuming we GET paid.)

I'm finding more often than not, closing fees, whether paid to a service or direct to the agent, is not listed on the HUD. The fees the title company is paying is included in the title company fees rather than being broken out and listed separately. Also, many title companies pay the service or agent with operational funds rather than escrow funds. Of course, this does not preclude that the borrower is ultimately paying our fees.

quote:
Originally posted by BarbaraC

Look up, print, and read the Model Notary Act. You will learn a lot.

While the Model Notary Act (by the NNA) is okay, rest assured that it is not a bible and certainly not a law or statute. The Act states
quote:
A major objective of the
Act, as stated in Subparagraph (6), is to unify
notarial laws throughout the country. Problems
relating to the recognition of out-of-state
notarial acts can be eased or eliminated if the
Act gains widespread acceptance.

Many states have embraced many parts of the Act, but by no means has it become fully accepted by all states.

Go to Top of Page

n/a

New York
1 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2010 :  08:17:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you read the HUD, when you are at the closing, YOUR FEE is listed on there. Therefore in most cases your fee WAS PAID AT CLOSING, and is listed in "title fees" usually around DOUBLE what we are actually paid (assuming we GET paid.)

To me, if a Title co. picks up the phone and makes one or two calls, gets $300.00, and gives us $150.00, the hiring title company can't justify SUCH A HIGH FEE for only one or two calls. These are the highest Closing Agent fees I have seen by the way, usually for Purchase Loans.

Look up, print, and read the Model Notary Act. You will learn a lot. Also RESPA which is Real Estate Settlement Proceedures Act, which is the law WE WORK UNDER when we perform loan closing services. I keep them in my briefcase. Perhaps knowledge of the laws will allow the companies who hire us to become convinced that we ARE knowledgable professions who deserve to be paid.

Speaking as a NYS Lic. Real Estate Broker, not from any notary class...

Barbara S. Calabrese
Go to Top of Page

PWinFL

Florida
469 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2010 :  05:13:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit PWinFL's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There may be a slim distinction here between what you said, Edward, in your last post and what Linda is saying regarding your initial postings. I personally don't think there is a problem in asking the borrowers to help you in the collection effort, but what Linda was responding to (I think), is the statement from you where you wanted the borrower to pay you your fee. In particular you said:
quote:
Call the borrower/buyer and tell them you have not been paid for a service they were charged for and you need payment can they pay you.
IMO, and the opinion of many others, the borrower is not party to your contractual arrangement. What that means, is they are not responsible for your payment and therefore should not be approached for payment. Again, this is not to say that you cannot seek the borrower's help in getting your payment, just that you can't ask them to pay you.

Go to Top of Page

a1etron

Florida
77 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2010 :  6:53:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You would be amazed at how effective calling the borrower has been for me in the past. Linda see the light it works all these other people and companies will do very little for you because the file has closed. The LO does not want his buyer/borrower having any problems becuase they need referals. After calling a borrower on one file that was 65 days past due I had a FEDEX next day for full payment from the title co. Do what you want I do what works.

Edward Fadden
Orlando Notary
Covering all of Central Florida, Orange-Lake-Seminole-Osceola and Volusia Counties.
407-619-7777
orlandonotary@embarqmail.com
Go to Top of Page

LindaH

Florida
1754 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2010 :  3:02:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by a1etron

Call the borrower/buyer and tell them you have not been paid for a service they were charged for and you need payment can they pay you. Then call the LO and tell them you have not been paid because that is who the borrower is going to call next, at this point hopefully you should have some movement.

Edward Fadden
Orlando Notary
Covering all of Central Florida, Orange-Lake-Seminole-Osceola and Volusia Counties.
407-619-7777

Disagree....the borrowers have paid the fee in the disbursements on the HUD, which is out of their hands. They should not be dragged into it. LO, yes; state regulating agency for the title company, yes; Borrower? No.

MHO

Linda
www.notarydepot.com/notary/lindah
http://www.notary.net/websites/LindaHubbell
Go to Top of Page

n/a

Texas
1 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2010 :  12:01:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have ran into similar setuation with couple of signing, so I found out bout Pre Paid Legal, became PPL member, called 1-800 number and within few hours attorney called me to discuss the case. I gave him all the detail, he turn around and wrote letters, few days later I had checks in my mail.
PPL is in business for past 30 years and you can also make money by selling their membership to others, I was assigned to Ross & Matthews law firm by PPL with personal attorney card with 800. If you become PPL member then your assigned law firm will do many other thing for you, go to their website at http://rossandmatthews.com/prepaids1.asp
to see wath they can do for you for $17 per month member fee. If you want additional Identity theft protection that would be additional $9 per month. Ross and Matthews is prominent law firm, they have contract with PPL to provide services to their members, I am assuming R&M get some cut per call to PPL members.
There is no contract with PPL you can cancel it anytime. I am a associate member and I paid $72 one time fee then $26 per month for ID theft and PPL member, advantages with associate member is that you make money everytime you refer someone. If you are interested in signing up with PPL go through my site at:
https://www.prepaidlegal.com/Multisite/Multisite?site=hub&assoc=rmbaig

Rizwan baig
Go to Top of Page

a1etron

Florida
77 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2010 :  10:44:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Call the borrower/buyer and tell them you have not been paid for a service they were charged for and you need payment can they pay you. Then call the LO and tell them you have not been paid because that is who the borrower is going to call next, at this point hopefully you should have some movement.

Edward Fadden
Orlando Notary
407-619-7777
Go to Top of Page

n/a

Texas
1 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2010 :  10:24:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had similar problem from signing companies not paying me. I went out to get membership from PrePaid Legal, it cost $17 per month, once you become member, prepaid legal will assign you a law firm, mine is Ross & Matthews PC. This law firm is on your side and they will do lot more then just getting your payment, they will dismiss your speeding ticket, represent you on DUI and many many more benefits. Plus you can make exta income by introducing to other people, like I am doing. Once you bring other membrs, your membership will cost you nothing, yet you will get all the PPL member benefits. Go through following links and read about it and watch couple of video, I personally benefited from PPL, plus they will write you free WILL and much more.
https://www.prepaidlegal.com/Multisite/Multisite?site=hub&assoc=rmbaig
also you can read more on Ross and Matthrews law firm at
http://rossandmatthews.com/prepaids1.asp
I am a associate member which is one time $72 buck fee then $17 per month and if you want Identity theft protection that is an extra $9 per month. PPL is not a fraud, they are in business for past 30 years and lots of peopel are taking advantage through PPL and making extra bucks. Associate member fee is going up after March 25, 2010 to $250 bucks, sign up without contract and can cancell anytime, gurantee. Sign up via my first link, thanks. Whenever attorney writes a letter, it carries lots of waight, ratehr then you or me calling or sending e-mail. Three letter from Ross and Matthews got my $300 from three differnt signing companies.

Rizwan baig
Go to Top of Page

CopperheadVA

Virginia
420 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2010 :  07:28:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Find out who owns the TC. If it's an attorney, a letter to the state bar usually does the trick. You can also contact the state authority who regulates the TC and complain. In both instances I would file a complaint that attorney or TC has failed to fulfill the contractual obligations.

CopperheadVA

Go to Top of Page

NY Notary

New York
4 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2010 :  07:18:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit NY Notary's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have been in the Notary Signing Agent Business for a number of years. I have had numerous companies not follow through with payment. Some I have just taken as a loss. But those days are over! As my family is growing I started to look at things differently. When a company doesn't pay, they are stealing from my families mouth. On December 3,2009 I conducted a closing from an individual of Gulf Atlantic Title. I did my part, and still over two months,fifteen phone calls and 10 emails later still no payment. I have contacted my attorney and I will be contacting the lender in which they work with, to tell them what Gulf Atlantic payment polices are.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion Forum © 123notary.com Go To Top Of Page

Tips for using the forum
The most important feature on the forum is the search box. You can look up a particular word, phrase, name of a company, and see a potentially large list of search results with which you can obtain data. Filters are also valuable. If you want to find popular posts, you can use the number of views filter. You can also see whats new with the active topics link. Email us at info@123notary.com if you need any help using the notary forum.

Resources
The notary public resource page is valuable as it has links to all of the free information pages for notaries. Pages linked to the resource page include a page that teaches you everything you need to know to get the most out of your listing. Another page teaches you all the secrets of getting paid. There is a link to our free list of signing companies. There is also a glossary, learning tools, and much more. If you are a notary, the free tips we give are invaluable.

Popular pages
If you visit 123notary.com often, you might want to visit some of our most popular pages such as the California notary, Texas notary, Florida notary, and New York notary pages to browse the site. We also have valuable pages for notaries such as the free list of signing companies, and the resource page. Please also visit our get notarized and notarized letter page.