123Notary
Enter Zip, City, or County... i.e. orange,NY or 90019
Search Method:    regular time edocs
Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion ForumDear Signing Agents,
You need to REGISTER and have a password to post or reply to discussion topics. Please remember, your password for your listing on 123notary.com is NOT RELATED to and is different from your password on the forum. Your password on the forum can be whatever you want it to be.
Lookup a specific signing company, word, or phrase
Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion Forum
Register | String Format | Index Format | Active Topics | Hot Topics | Preview Topics | Advanced Search | Members | Profile | Tutorial | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The 123notary.com Forum for Signing Agents
 Question of the day
 Question 13 - Background Checks?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
1 -1 2 people liked this post.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

JPMyra

New Hampshire
21 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2014 :  5:09:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit JPMyra's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am in NH.does it matter who I get my background check from, can some one recommend someone other than NNA.

MyraAnne Healey
Weare, NH 03281
dba JP-Online Services
603-529-3768 Office
603-289-9799 Cell
Email: JPMyra@aol.com
Forum: WWW.FIandPP.com
Group: USFieldInspectorsandPropertyPreservations-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
Group: http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/fieldbids/
WWW.LinkedIn.com/groups/US-Feld-Inspectors-Property-Preservations-3917844
WWW.facebook.com/pages/US-Field_inspectors-and-Property-Preservation/242588722467740

Go to Top of Page

davidlwilliams

Massachusetts
47 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2014 :  07:12:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mhartyswaleh

Bombarded this week with emails from signing services and title companies stating they will require all notaries "to have a Background Check from the National Notary Association. (MUST be by the National Notary Association ONLY)
Fidelity National Title and its sister companies are requiring all notaries contracted through us to have a current NNA background check CERTIFICATE".

I already have a background check from the National Verification Registry administered from Notary Rotary.

This seems absolutely RIDICULOUS! The NNA wants to make more money off of us even if we are unwilling to do so.

Looking for feedback from other members.

My understanding is that any background check will do. Is it ridiculous? Of course, MA requires (although VT does not) a massive background check.
The new criteria for signing agents has done nothing to stem the greed ("we're going to pay this $60...) or their absurd demands. References, a copy of my driver's license, a 14 pp "application," even $100,000 worth of E&O insurance (four times what the NNA advises). At least one requires the purchase of a $300 encryption program to send back faxes (not to mention the software to combine the faxes into one PDF).
As a matter of business practice, I do not do application, as a matter of confidentiality I do not provide references, as a matter of rationality I do not give them a copy of my driver's license (one demanded to see my face!).
I encourage you all to do likewise. A united front will have the lunacy on the run.
Go to Top of Page

TGS1985

California
208 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2013 :  2:28:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit TGS1985's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sergio
The industry is changing and we'll see more specifics in 2014. Take a look at
http://signingprofessionalsworkgroup.org
The Signing Professional Workgroup. The leaders are NNA president and vicepresident, and the sales manager for Fistam. You may get an idea of what's coming not only for background check but also your title, how you will operate, new certifications, etc.

Yes and changing for soul benefit of the NNA and that's the exact problem. Who made the leaders of the NNA the deciding voice of reason in regards to all things signing agent? Last time I check they still weren't a state or federal government organization, but a private one. All they're doing is forcing notaries to purchase their certifications and background checks so they can make more money without any competition. Last time I check that was a Monopoly. And speaking of which how trust worthy is a certification where if you fail the test the first time they give you all the answers so that you're guaranteed to pass the second? Not to mention that many of the test givers are teachers instead of actual season notaries. I mean they have the right to perform their tests how ever they want but I don't think "unlimited tries until you pass" counts as most certified or leading.

I don't think lenders and title companies requiring Notary Signing Agents to have background checks is wrong. What I do find wrong is forcing said notaries to take background checks from one company while ignoring those already performed from such organizations as the FBI and DoJ as required by that few States the do. It's like the notaries from said states are being punished because their Dept of SoS where ahead of the curve.

Knowledge such as shredding documents with important/private information instead of just throwing them away is doesn't come from a test, it comes from common sense.

- Tyler Soares -
Notary Public & Loan Signing Agent
www.mobilestocktonnotary.com
www.saccitynotary.com

Edited by - TGS1985 on 11/25/2013 2:38:54 PM
Go to Top of Page

kandy1099

Pennsylvania
121 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2013 :  2:53:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit kandy1099's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank-you for the information!! I will read it over and mark the website so I can check back when 2014 regulations comes out!

Go to Top of Page

Sergio

California
2 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2013 :  3:48:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sergio's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kandy1099

Why NNA? What makes them so special over all these other BC companies? But companies are emailing me left and right saying with out that, I will be removed from their database......

Kandy,

The industry is changing and we'll see more specifics in 2014. Take a look at
http://signingprofessionalsworkgroup.org
The Signing Professional Workgroup. The leaders are NNA president and vicepresident, and the sales manager for Fistam. You may get an idea of what's coming not only for background check but also your title, how you will operate, new certifications, etc.
--
Sergio Musetti, Sacramento eNotary Electronic Notarizations. California.
http://enotary.homestead.com

Sergio Musetti
http://aSpanishMobileNotary.com
http://WestSacramentoNotary.com
http://CaliforniaApostille.us
www.PingVOIP.com
Go to Top of Page

kandy1099

Pennsylvania
121 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2013 :  09:16:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit kandy1099's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Why NNA? What makes them so special over all these other BC companies? But companies are emailing me left and right saying with out that, I will be removed from their database......

Go to Top of Page

mentalmi

Pennsylvania
37 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2013 :  06:41:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit mentalmi's Homepage  Reply with Quote

I'd also like to add something. What does our driving classification and whether we've had an accident or a driving violation have to do with the borrowers privacy? And isn't that what this is supposedly all about!! That is something else they are requiring on the BGC. And yes, once they get our DL & SS info they can run a credit check! I may not have anything to hide, but I think I read somewhere that I still have a right to privacy. When I first started this, the IRS, told me to get a Tax ID # to avoid giving out my SS#.

quote:
Originally posted by TGS1985

quote:
Originally posted by LindaH

I'll repeat here what I said elsewhere - you have to realize that although you get an extensive BGC to be commissioned, the companies you want to work for are not privvy to the results of that BGC and your state is not obligated to provide it to them - and more than likely won't give it out. Therefore, the companies want you to undergo one that they can see.

With all due respect Linda, that shouldn't matter. Speaking for the state of California you can not have ANY criminal record to be commissioned as a Notary Public, including owing child support. The fact I passed a background check with the FBI and Dept. of Justice should tell lenders that I've not done anything criminal in my past that would send red flags, whether they can see the details or not. Unless you think one's financial background should be considered by lenders in which case I personally do not. They are plenty of people who are honest and successful who at the same are also bad at managing money (and at the same time there are plenty of people who are lie, cheat, and steal but are very fiscal). Outside the role of a financial advisor one's credit history should not matter in regards to their profession. Especially one hired to explain and notarize loan documents.

- Tyler Soares -
www.saccitynotary.com

TMG NOTARY
PA
Go to Top of Page

TGS1985

California
208 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2013 :  5:15:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit TGS1985's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'll repeat here what I said elsewhere - you have to realize that although you get an extensive BGC to be commissioned, the companies you want to work for are not privvy to the results of that BGC and your state is not obligated to provide it to them - and more than likely won't give it out. Therefore, the companies want you to undergo one that they can see.

With all due respect Linda, that shouldn't matter. Speaking for the state of California you can not have ANY criminal record to be commissioned as a Notary Public, including owing child support. The fact I passed a background check with the FBI and Dept. of Justice should tell lenders that I've not done anything criminal in my past that would send red flags, whether they can see the details or not. Unless you think one's financial background should be considered by lenders in which case I personally do not. They are plenty of people who are honest and successful who at the same are also bad at managing money (and at the same time there are plenty of people who are lie, cheat, and steal but are very fiscal). Outside the role of a financial advisor one's credit history should not matter in regards to their profession. Especially one hired to explain and notarize loan documents.

- Tyler Soares -
www.saccitynotary.com

Edited by - TGS1985 on 11/01/2013 5:17:10 PM
Go to Top of Page

mhartyswaleh

Texas
5 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2013 :  10:22:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I found this very interesting post from the RIPOFF REPORT on the NNA dated 1/19/2007 BUT still applicable today.

http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/NNA-National-Notary-Association/Sacramento-California/NNA-National-Notary-Association-loan-signing-service-mortgage-fraud-work-from-home-ripoff-231555

Interested in member feedback.
Go to Top of Page

mhartyswaleh

Texas
5 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2013 :  10:16:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bombarded this week with emails from signing services and title companies stating they will require all notaries "to have a Background Check from the National Notary Association. (MUST be by the National Notary Association ONLY)
Fidelity National Title and its sister companies are requiring all notaries contracted through us to have a current NNA background check CERTIFICATE".

I already have a background check from the National Verification Registry administered from Notary Rotary.

This seems absolutely RIDICULOUS! The NNA wants to make more money off of us even if we are unwilling to do so.

Looking for feedback from other members.
Go to Top of Page

patricia2001

California
9 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2013 :  11:51:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

If you want to work you'll get it done - within reason - I would not consent to one (at my expense) with every company I sign up with - I have one through NotRot (the cheapest and most accurate but not accepted by all companies) and one through NNA.

Linda
http://www.columbiacountynotary.webs.com

Patricia Stephens
Go to Top of Page

LindaH

Florida
1754 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2013 :  7:10:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

If you want to work you'll get it done - within reason - I would not consent to one (at my expense) with every company I sign up with - I have one through NotRot (the cheapest and most accurate but not accepted by all companies) and one through NNA.

Linda
http://www.columbiacountynotary.webs.com

Edited by - LindaH on 06/30/2013 7:11:54 PM
Go to Top of Page

SigningAgentCoach

California
42 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2013 :  6:00:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh my gosh! I'm a California Notary and spent $80 just like everyone else on a DOJ AND FBI check and now I'm getting asked for another one.
What's everyone doing and if I can get one cheap to fill the square, what do you recommend?
xx kelly

Kelly Robertson,
California Notary Public
(951) 317-0125
Go to Top of Page

TGS1985

California
208 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2013 :  4:30:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit TGS1985's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I point out to companies that I'm a California Notary and therefore I'm checked by the FBI and State DoJ every four years. If that's not good enough for them I tell them I'll be more than happy to get a background check by any company of their choosing... at their own expense.

I can understand a company requesting such information for a Notary in a State that doesn't require any sort of background check but from those where states do, even if it just a criminal background check, I'm sorry that's overkill and repetitive.

That said I'm not big fan of judging someone based on their financial history unless they are in a related field (I.E. Financial Advisor). Not to mention having such expectations in economy like this. What does it prove? Do you think all those investment bankers in AIG and Citibank had terrible credit histories? Probably not yet they did much bigger job being irresponsible than poor Mr. and Mrs. Smith who might be behind on a credit card.

Besides the NNA hasn't done much for me. The majority of my business comes from Notary Rotary and here. Heck I think I'm getting more business from Notary Café now than I am from the NNA.

- Tyler Soares -
www.saccitynotary.com

Edited by - TGS1985 on 03/30/2013 4:31:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

AKnotary

Alaska
36 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2013 :  08:51:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Update to my previous post on 3-2-2013; Equifax did in fact accept the background check done by NNA.

Vicki Kluever
NNA Certified Notary Signing Agent in Alaska
907) 539-7111
Go to Top of Page

AKnotary

Alaska
36 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2013 :  12:54:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not all states require a background check for the notary commission. In Alaska, a background check is not required; only a criminal record check. I maintain my status with NNA as a certified signing agent. The background report NNA requires is looking at many other things than simply a criminal record (bankrupty, driving record, criminal record, disbarred lists, etc, alias names, etc). The impression I get is NNA is a respected source within the title and escrow industry. I get a lot of first-time calls as a result of the NNA signingagent.com listing, and this leads to repeat business for me.

I recently received a request from Equifax for a background check at my expense. They won't accept the one done last week by NNA. On one hand, I don't want to pay for something that was just done. On the other hand, is the cost of their background check worth more than the loss of business? Sometimes we have to look at the bigger picture.

Vicki Kluever
NNA Certified Notary Signing Agent in Alaska
907) 539-7111
Go to Top of Page

Deborah Bond

Massachusetts
71 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2013 :  05:00:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit Deborah Bond's Homepage  Reply with Quote
LSI has been the only company in 12 years (21 as a notary)to require of me for a background check. I will admit that several have had it on thier lists as an item requested by not required.....and have sent it. IF LSI is the only one requireing it and I have only gotten 3 assignments in 2 years I do not think it is worth it....do you?

Deborah Bond...
Notary Public
Eastern Massachusetts
Go to Top of Page

ClimaxNotary

Michigan
1 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2012 :  08:39:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit ClimaxNotary's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jbelmont

How many of you have been background checked? Does it make a difference? Or was it a waste of money. Which companies want background checked notaries?

I have had 5 requests for background checks in 10 years.
Four of the requesters were satisfied with the one I had done through the NNA. Equifax is now requiring one (despite the current one on file at the NNA)that I must pay for (in Mi. $37.86/notary).

IMHO -This is just another example of overhead creep due to a companies willingness to pass on to their vendors the cost of doing bussiness under the the terms of a contract that the company had negotiated.

Ron
Go to Top of Page

Lee-AR

Arkansas
678 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2012 :  05:02:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For whatever this comment is worth--I do 'business verification' appointments (not signings) for several companies that are in the business of 'verifying the business exists and also checking that security measures are in place' when this verified business wants to run their own background checks. Once approved, these background checks cost less than $10. IMO, the companies that want 'their own' at your expense are simply looking at an easy profit pocket.

Go to Top of Page

Michael 3

Pennsylvania
4 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2012 :  06:42:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael 3's Homepage  Reply with Quote
In the last seven years I think that I've been requested to get a background check about three times. They tell me that they can not use me without it.I always tell them that I'm willing to do that and then I ask them "how will you pay for this". They say that they won't. I say, your the one that wants it and I think that you should pay for it. I then remind them that I have meet all my state requirements and that they should honor that. At this point we part ways. They still use me anyways, and when they call me they don't even ask me if I have thier needed background check. So now I think that they lied when they told me that they can't use me without it. For what it's worth,last month I did about fourty signings. My guess is that the other notaries in my area didn't buy it either. This brings to mind two old sayings "if you can't get what you want, you'll take what you can get" and "there's power in numbers".

Go to Top of Page

Shannon

California
360 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2008 :  09:04:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shannon's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm right there with you Carmen...
The NNA became a profit machine and proceeded to spread fear through its own membership to buy certifications and background checks that were meaningless (especially here in CA).
While I used to see some logic in having such a certification for the purpose of touting your services and credentials to potential clients, I now see them as purely a waste of time and money. There are other "helpful" organizations out there that one can belong to that do not nickel and dime you...try UNAA for example: http://unitednotaries.org/

"A Quick Note"
www.aquicknote.net
Now Providing "Service of Process" in Orange County, CA
Go to Top of Page

lompocjoe

California
8 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2008 :  08:05:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit lompocjoe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Background checks are fine, but as was suggested in the opening question by Jeremy, I believe they are redundant in California, which has some of the strictest notary approval laws in the country. Taking into account the increased costs to become a notary versus the incredible loss of business this year, I have yet to pay off the expenses of renewing my commission.

Go to Top of Page

crtowles

California
553 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2008 :  10:17:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Graig, the NNA BC comes nowhere near the background check we have to go through to be notaries in California. Why do you need the NNA seal of approval? IMHO it is a waste of money. From what folks tell me here most of their work comes from the this site (I know all of mine does). I started with the NNA but left them years ago and have never looked back. For the record I have never ever had a company ask for this.

Carmen
Go to Top of Page

cnaylor

California
32 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2008 :  4:24:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit cnaylor's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have the NNA background check as required to maintain my NNA Cert signer "label". I have NEVER had a signing service, or escrow company ask in anyway shape or from about my "background check" status. It appears the NNA is going to stick to their guns (aka fee's) on their own Background check, even though the State of CA has made those renewing this calender year, go through a just as detailed BG check to renew.

So since the NNA (Cet signer, not.. BG Check) shtick has mattered to some Escrow companies, I will probably pay again for the useless additional NNA BG check again next month. I at least walk in with open eyes.

Craig

Craig/CA
Go to Top of Page

ricknbama

Alabama
8 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2008 :  09:31:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit ricknbama's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I do not have a problem with one background check approved by all companies. However, one is enough and any others required should be at the expense of the company requiring same.
Go to Top of Page

jbelmont

California
3106 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2008 :  03:18:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbelmont's Homepage  Reply with Quote
How many of you have been background checked? Does it make a difference? Or was it a waste of money. Which companies want background checked notaries?
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion Forum © 123notary.com Go To Top Of Page

Tips for using the forum
The most important feature on the forum is the search box. You can look up a particular word, phrase, name of a company, and see a potentially large list of search results with which you can obtain data. Filters are also valuable. If you want to find popular posts, you can use the number of views filter. You can also see whats new with the active topics link. Email us at info@123notary.com if you need any help using the notary forum.

Resources
The notary public resource page is valuable as it has links to all of the free information pages for notaries. Pages linked to the resource page include a page that teaches you everything you need to know to get the most out of your listing. Another page teaches you all the secrets of getting paid. There is a link to our free list of signing companies. There is also a glossary, learning tools, and much more. If you are a notary, the free tips we give are invaluable.

Popular pages
If you visit 123notary.com often, you might want to visit some of our most popular pages such as the California notary, Texas notary, Florida notary, and New York notary pages to browse the site. We also have valuable pages for notaries such as the free list of signing companies, and the resource page. Please also visit our get notarized and notarized letter page.